Dursley Rugby Football Club
Registered as a Community Amateur Sports Club CASC since 2004
2018 season honours
30th June 2018
Dursley Rugby Club celebrated the 2017-18 season with its annual awards evening and fundraising ball.
More than 400 people attended the Summer Ball and Auction on Friday 8th June 2018, raising vital funds for the club’s development.
The Ball rounded off another successful season for the senior teams, with all three of the men’s teams making finals in their respective Stroud Combination Cups. The First XV won the Senior Cup for the 4th year in a row and many Colts players transitioned well into the senior set up, winning awards in their first year.
The senior women’s team finished 4th in the first season in the National Challenge 2 Midlands South league.
The Mini & Youth Section also had another successful year, with over 400 children and young people from age 3 to 18 enjoying training and playing together.
Dursley Running Club also celebrated on the night, awarding the Runner’s Runner of the Year (details below).
The newly reformed Stinchcombe Stragglers cricket section also had a good return to league cricket in summer 2017, being promoted in their first season and now developing youth and women’s cricket.
Club Chairman Simon Bilous said: “It was good to celebrate another fantastic season, with participation numbers growing across all sports based here with the launch of rugby minnows, hosting a number of festivals and success for the cricket and running clubs. The evening was about celebrating everyone involved in volunteering or playing. We are delighted to confirm life membership to Paul Winterbottom for his many years of commitment to the rugby club and recognise former youth player Jack Reeves for his England under 18s selection this year.”
PLAYING AWARD WINNERS:
Senior Men’s Awards
- Emlyn Morgan Most Improved Player Steve Raines-Gardner
- First Team Player of the Year Sam Powell
- Keith Harding Player’s Player of the Year Ben Cole
- Mark Ackerman 2nd Team Player of the Year Simon Thomas
- Stan Baldwin 3rd Team Player of the Year ‘The Colts’
- The Jack Robson Top Try Scorer Award Chris Perrett
Senior Women’s Awards
- Senior Women - Player’s Player of the Year Tracy Hunt
- Senior Women - Coaches Player of the Year Julianne Thomson
Running Club Award
- Dursley Running Club Runners’ Runner Margaret Johnson
CLUB AWARD WINNERS
- J Minchin Trophy Clubman of the Year Daryl Cross (pictured)
- Jack Heaven Cup for services to Senior (Men’s) Rugby Jake Ward
- Jack Heaven Cup for services to Junior (M&Y) Rugby Lee Barton
- Mini &Youth ‘Rifina’ Cup for services to M&Y Rugby Andrew Cope
Group Award (to recognise contribution by a particular group) Dursley Ladies RFC